Moisture resistant and flexible, engineered hardwood gives homeowners the ability to outfit all areas of their home without the typical restrictions faced by traditional hardwood planks. Made of a solid wood core and topped with a hardwood veneer, engineered hardwood offers the following benefits:
Why Choose Engineered Hardwood?
Engineered hardwood is made up of a solid wood core topped with glue-applied hardwood veneer and:
- Is not as sensitive to moisture and temperature changes as solid hardwood
- Can be installed over radiant heating
- Is great for concrete subfloors (when a glued or floating application is used)
- Is resistant to shrinking and expanding
Engineered Hardwood Styles
Like solid hardwood, engineered hardwood comes in a variety of local and exotic species.
- Maple – light brown with visible grain
- Birch – light brown with visible grain
- Ash – a very hard wood ideal for high traffic and commercial applications
- Oak – brown with a very visible, dark grain
- Walnut – brown that lightens up with age
- Cherry – brown with red tinge that darkens with age
Engineered Hardwood Maintenance
Engineered hardwood is more resistant to moisture, but it is still not a good idea to soak or wet mop the floors. Clean up spills immediately to prevent moisture entry. To clean engineered hardwood, use:
- A floor or light vacuum that does not have a rotating bristle bar
- A slightly damp mop with a cleaner that meets manufacturer’s recommendations
- Mats at outdoor entry points to stop dirt and mud in its tracks
Never use ammonia, vinegar or other acidic solvents and avoid steam cleaning the floors. Some engineered hardwood species can be waxed. If you would like to wax your floor periodically, we can help you determine the best species and application method.
Choose Ashley Fine Floors for all Your Engineered Hardwood Needs in Edmonton and Calgary
Ashley Fine Floors works with FSC certified engineered hardwood manufacturers to ensure proper harvesting, reforestation and reclamation in forests. We love the look of hardwood and how it can be installed on every level of your residence or commercial building. Let us show you our engineered hardwood products and help you decide which colour and style will elevate the look of your home or business.