If you are a fan of home renovation shows, you’ll notice how excited homeowners get when they discover hardwood under old carpets. There is a very good reason for that. Hardwood flooring is durable, can increase your home’s value and greatly enhances the look of your rooms. Wood is natural and recyclable, making hardwood flooring an environmentally sound choice as well. Our hardwood flooring in Calgary brings versatility and elegance to any room in your home. From maple and birch to bamboo and parquet, we have what you need for hardwood flooring in Edmonton.
Why Choose Hardwood Flooring in Calgary and Edmonton?
Common reasons people choose hardwood flooring include:
- Versatility: The variety of installation methods (glue, click, nail and staple) means hardwood can be properly installed on every level of your home, including basements and second levels.
- Elegance: Properly finished hardwood floors add beauty and style to rooms.
- Value: Hardwood can be refinished, making it long-lasting and a valuable addition to the home. Many home buyers actively seek out hardwood floors as part of their must-have list.
Hardwood comes as solid or engineered. It is important not to confuse engineered hardwood with laminate flooring. (Please visit our engineered hardwood and laminate pages for more information on those flooring options.) Solid hardwood is ideal for residential and commercial main floor applications and comes in the following local and exotic species:
- Maple – light brown with visible grain
- Birch – light brown with visible grain
- Bamboo – light brown to deep mocha and has a much less visible grain
- Softwood – pine, hemlock and fir are used to create a cozy, less formal feel
- Ash – a very hard wood ideal for high traffic and commercial applications
- Oak – brown with a very visible, dark grain
- Walnut – brown that lightens up with age
- Cherry – brown with red tinge that darkens with age
- Parquet – hardwood is used to create a tile pattern or geometric shapes
Hardwood is a natural product and must be maintained with care. Consistent humidity keeps the wood from swelling, shrinking or cracking. Hardwood can also scratch easily, so pads under furniture are recommended.
- Hardwood does not like moisture
- Wipe up spills immediately
- Don’t use a wet mop
- Use mats at outdoor entry points to stop dirt and mud in its tracks
- Use a humidifier and programmable thermostat to maintain ideal moisture and temperature levels
Choose Ashley Fine Floors for all Your Hardwood Needs
We care about our world’s forests, and only work with hardwood manufactures that are FSC certified. Rely on our experience and knowledge to help you discover the hardwood flooring that takes your home or business to the next level.