Hardwood floors are a beautiful statement piece that can add style, elegance, and value to your home. With the proper care, hardwood can last for quite a while, giving you plenty of opportunity to enjoy their lustre. Learn how to maximize the life of your floors with our timeline of maintenance and TLC below!
Start Off On The Right Foot
Regardless of whether you choose engineered hardwood flooring or traditional hardwood, installing flooring is an investment. Give your planks the best chance for a long life by planning ahead from day one. Factors you’ll want to keep in mind, as well as best practices include:
- Consider installing hardwood in rooms that do not receive direct sunlight for the majority of the day (which can discolour and warp your planks over time), or adding in curtains to provide some shelter.
- Use caution when moving furniture. If possible, add felt protectors to the legs of your couches, chairs, tables, and more to help avoid accidental scratches.
- Add additional protection (and sound absorption!) to your space by including a stylish throw rug to areas prone to heavy foot traffic.
- Use caution when selecting cleaning products and ensure that the label clearly states that it is suitable for use on hardwood floors. Ideally, with regular upkeep, you should only need warm water and a gentle mop.
- Remove outdoor shoes prior to walking across your floors to minimize the introduction of dirt and debris to your home.
Weekly And Monthly
While hardwood floors don’t typically require a large amount of maintenance and upkeep to maintain their sheen, regularly sweeping and occasional mopping will help prevent the build up of dirt and grime over time. Remember to use only hardwood approved cleaning products, as well as gentle cleaning tools to avoid stripping the natural protective layer off your floors, or causing scratches.
Expect to see some natural changes in your flooring throughout the year, especially if you live in an area like Alberta, where the various temperature shifts between season can lead to the planks shrinking and expanding. If you notice visible signs of warping or damage, however, you’ll want to consult an expert immediately.
Regular care and cleaning will help keep your floors in ideal condition. Stay diligent and your floors will keep their lustre for years to come!
With the right care, hardwood floors can be the perfect long lasting addition to your home. Contact Ashley Fine Floors to learn more today!